10 Things You Didn’t Know About the 2016 Volvo XC90
The all-new XC90 has arrived at our Volvo of San Antonio location, and fans are absolutely loving it — and not just in San Antonio. People around the world have become enthralled with one of the most exciting SUVs ever built.
Technology, luxury, comfort and most notably safety features highlight the 2016 Volvo XC90. Its Intellisafe system is packed with technologies that allow the XC90 to hit the brakes all by itself. It’s one of the many reasons why people are turning heads, and the team here at Principle Auto Group thought it would be nice to give our readers a proper introduction to the SUV heard around the world.
- The new XC90 offers third row seating for people besides kids. Riders up to 5’7″ can ride comfortably in the third row. Most of the 2016 Volvo XC90’s competitors, such as the BMW X5, don’t have this luxury.
- Audio experts Bowers & Wilkins helped in building the XC90 by assisting in building the optional 19-speaker symphony of audio goodness that emanates from the XC90’s cabin. Its center-mounted dash speaker tones down the acoustic reflection, giving its occupants one of the most crisp and dazzling sounds ever heard inside of a vehicle.
- One thing that Volvo really wanted to focus on was updating, but also keeping the good parts of the XC90 that people have grown to love. If you notice, the grille is a little updated, but it stays true to the XC90 brand.
- The drag coefficient of the 2016 Volvo XC90 is 0.30. This means it’s more aerodynamic than the much pricier Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT Coupe.
- Why yes, the XC90 HAS lost some weight. Volvo focused on making the 2016 XC90 lighter, yet stronger. They accomplished that by feeding it a healthy diet of rear leaf springs and boron steel, which now makes up 40 percent of the body. It now weighs 280 pounds less than the previous model.
- Off-Road mode allows the vehicle to produce 10.5 inches of ground clearance. That’s quite impressive.
- We’ve briefly mentioned the XC90’s ability to apply brake pressure on its own, but it can also prepare for an accident, if need be. Volvo has stated that it looks to completely eliminate serious injuries and deaths in road-departure accidents. They look to do that with its Safe Positioning feature. The XC90 will sense when it’s leaving the road, so the seat belts will automatically tighten.
- “Queue Assist” automatically controls the throttle, brake and steering in stop-and-go traffic. This should eliminate a ton of fender-bending wrecks, and even worse accidents.
- Those rims, though. The XC90 boasts 22-inch wheels, which is the same size wheels on the Cadillac Escalade and the Lincoln Navigator.
- There are multiple trims, but the XC90’s T8 option is the muscle man of the group. It contains a 2.0-liter engine that pairs with an electric motor, and the two combine to deliver a torque rating of 443 lb-ft.
Are you impressed yet? You should be.
Contact us for more information on our Memphis and San Antonio dealerships.
Click here to see all of our locations.
Are you on the market for a new or used car for sale? We are an auto group that provides quality Toyota, MINI BMW, Scion and Volvo vehicles to customers not just in San Antonio and Memphis, but throughout Tennessee and Texas. Please feel free to give us a call or visit one of our five locations.